Try Before You Buy
Download the free evaluation version of the Word Hunt Server program (limited functionality):
- Play with 1 - any number of players
- Play as many times as you want and as long as you want
- Make sure it works on your computer
- Decide if you like the game
- Limitation: does not shuffle the cards
$15 to Register to unlock full functionality:
Word Hunt Server
1 - any number of players. Play online with family and friends, over the internet or across a home network
How to play Word Hunt
- Word Hunt and Word Hunt Server are programs for Windows computers; they will not run on other devices.
- Every player must download and run the Word Hunt program.
- One player (the host) must also download and run the Word Hunt Server program.
- If any of the players are outside of the host's home network, the host must configure port forwarding to automatically route all internet communication from other players to the correct computer.
- The host must tell the players what port and IP address to use to connect to the game server.
Where Do You Find the Port and IP Address of Your Computer?
The Word Hunt Server program displays the port, public IP address, and private IP address it is using. The host may copy those numbers and paste them in an email or off-game message to the other players.
Should Players Use the Public or Private IP Address?
- Players outside the home network must use the public IP address of the host computer.
- A player on the computer running the game server program, must use the private IP address of the host computer.
- Players inside a home network but not on the computer running the game server may use either the private or public IP address of the host computer.
- If all players are inside the home network you may want them to use the private IP address so you don't need to use port forwarding.
- If some players are inside the home network and others are outside, it's easier to simply give all players the public IP address.
Start the Game
The host may start up a game for any group 1 or more friends anytime, but needs to start the server before friends attempt to join. Note: only the host must do these steps:
- Enable the port on the network router if any players will be joining over the internet.
- Start the Word Hunt Server program.
- Enter the names of one or more players who will be playing the game, placing a comma between each name.
- Click Start.
If anyone leaves the game and others want to play again, the host must stop and restart the game server (click Stop then click Start) or close the server and start it back up again.
After the host has started the server, each player should start the Word Hunt game on their own computer and enter the port, IP address, and player name exactly as set up by the host in the Word Hunt Server.
Cards will be deealt when the last person joins the game. How to play Word Hunt
- If one person leaves the game early or loses their internet connection, the game will automatically end for everyone.
- If anyone leaves the game and others want to play again, the host must stop and restart the game server (click Stop then click Start) or close the server and start it back up again.
- All players should run the same version of the game. Playing with different versions of the game may cause the game to suddenly terminate for everyone.
We have more games available for Windows computers.
Learn to Write Your Own Computer Games
Click the book image to find the book on Amazon.
Do-It-Yourself Java Games: An Introduction to Java Computer Programming
More Do-It-Yourself Java Games: An Introduction to Java Graphics and Event-Driven Programming
Advanced Do-It-Yourself Java Games: An Introduction to Java Threads and Animated Video Games
Do-It-Yourself Multiplayer Java Games: An Introduction to Java Sockets and Internet-Based Games
Get quantity discounts with Free Shipping when you order 5 or more copies of any book directly from us.